Fondant gives cakes and cupcakes a porcelain smooth satin like appearance. Wedding cakes are typically made from fondant. Cookie cutters can cut out fondant shapes to create embellishments. Fondant also helps keeps cakes moist a few days longer than typical frosting. Making fondant can be very easy and inexpensive. A marshmallow fondant has a better taste than store bought fondants and most people will eat it.
Here are a few tips:
1. Use ingredients that are good quality. Using store brand ingredients will result in frustration.
2. Sift the powdered sugar to help prevent bits of powdered sugar in the fondant.
3. Put the Crisco in a small dish off to the side so you can dip your fingers into it without contaminating the entire container.
4. This can be hot when melting the marshmallows, so be careful.
5. Fondant needs to be made about 24 hours before use.
6. To color the fondant use gel coloring instead of liquid colors.
7. Use cornstarch to help prevent stickiness when rolling out and using.
8. Store wrapped in plastic wrap in an airtight container.
Marshmallow Fondant Recipe
16 oz bag marshmallows
¾ of 2 Ib (or 1.5 lbs) bag powdered sugar (sifted works better)
2 Tablespoons water
Combine marshmallows and water in large bowl. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 10-30 seconds, stirring and microwaving, until all marshmallows are melted completely. Cover counter top and hands with Crisco. Pour powdered sugar on counter top and then the melted marshmallows on the powdered sugar. Knead.
It will be a little sticky at first. After kneading for a couple minutes, if it is tearing, add ½ Tablespoon water at a time until no longer tearing. If it seems too sticky, add a little more powdered sugar and knead in.
When at desired consistency, roll into a ball and coat with Crisco. Wrap in plastic wrap. Store in a ziplock bag in refrigerator.
It is best to let it rest overnight before using it. Add color right before using it because some colors will change the consistency of fondant.
Step 1: Combine marshmallows and water in large bowl. Microwave 30 seconds.
Step 2: Cover counter top and hands with Crisco.
Step 3: Continue stirring and microwaving marshmallows until completely melted at 10-30 second intervals.
Step 4: Pour sifted powdered sugar on counter top where you have covered with crisco.
Step 5: Pour the melted marshmallow mixture on top of powdered sugar.
Step 6: Knead marshmallow and powdered sugar together until it forms desired consistency.
Step 7: Coat fondant in Crisco and cover with plastic wrap. Then place in a ziplock bag.
Step 8: Place in the refrigerator for overnight before using.